Friday, September 6, 2013

Wales

     These past three weeks have been the most busy, exciting days of my life. I came to Snowdonia National Park because of the lovely Bed & Breakfast that I came to work for. I had no idea that I was going to be in the most beautiful place I've ever been. I also had no idea that I would be going on 6 hour extreme hikes up steep mountains and rock climbing cliffs either. This place is a mecca for rock climbers, mountain bikers, kayakers, and mountaineers. 
     The Bed & Breakfast I'm working in was an old church that they converted into a B&B. I am going to have a really hard time leaving this place, not only because of its beauty but because the amazing family that owns it. Tybalt, who is 13, loves to send us on the most ridiculous excursions, typically resulting in us limping home. Alice, the owner, and also the best story teller I've ever met, used to be a journalist before she came here to open the B&B. Steve, her partner, who resembles Abe Lincoln, is a brilliant photographer. Hero, who is 14, plays the piano and harp, along with just finished a swimming race through the channel between Europe and Asia. In short, these kids are more accomplished than I could ever imagine being. They have treated me like family and I feel so at home here 
     Capel Curig is ridiculously green with giant mountains and purple wild flowers everywhere. There are water falls and streams you can hear all over the place with gorgeous lakes intertwined through the hills. Traveling around to the other towns has made for great people watching. For some reason the teenagers and young adults around here dress so outrageous! I don't dare try and take a photo but it's hard to describe. Imagine Nirvana, 90's grunge clothing, Amy Winehouse hair or hot pink hair, on the girls, and the guys like a mix between Macklemore and Steve Urkel... It's bizarre. It's like they go out of there way to look as homeless and ridiculous as possible. 
     Between day trips to Chester, Llandendo, Conwy, and then Dublin, I have barely seen the tip of the ice berg as to what this region has to offer. Every town has its own charm, some of them encircled in the original town walls with old castles. I'm still trying to grow accustom to the food. Every place, including the B&B, serves the "traditional breakfast"- mushrooms, fried egg, tomato, sausage, bacon, beans, and toast. Same exact thing, every single place. They call my breakfast "curious" and "strange" when I cook myself something that I would consider normal at home. Everyone also realllly loves to make fun of my "accent." I keep telling them they have no idea how much more southern people at home can sound. They love correcting my pronunciation of words, while I have the hardest time understanding 95% of what everyone is saying here. For example the word hoover means vacuum... and they say "I can't be bothered" instead of I don't have time or I don't care. When asking how you are doing, or what's up, they say, "You Alright?" And for a while my response before I knew was... "Yes, why? Do I look tired?" So confusing. The list goes on and on. 
     It is quite a change going from hopping in my car and driving around to either walking 6 miles a day, hitch hiking, or taking trains everywhere. I can't tell which one is more stressful. It is definitely getting some taking used to walking up the mountains here as well. The village I have been in, Capel Curig, has 3 pubs, and all of which close at 11. Going from here to Dublin was definitely a culture shock. Me and two other girls that I work with decided to do a short trip to Ireland and I'll never forget it. It was like any other typical big city, until the night. The streets light up with traditional Irish dancers and amazing musicians that line the street, every night of the week. The bands sounded like Mumford and Sons but better! I couldn't get enough of the live music inside and outside of every pub. The energy was thrilling and the party seemed to never end. It was my first time staying in a hostel and I really lucked out with some awesome people. No where near as bad as I was expecting. Some of the kids were from Germany, others from France, and it amazes me how well they all speak English. It's kind of embarrassing when they ask me how many languages I speak... haha. One. 
     I have also loved the girls at the Bed & Breakfast, Livia who is from the states has taught me so much and I'm really going to miss her. Natacha, from Geneva is precious, her father sent her here to learn English and she has strengthened it immensely. I get to go stay with her later on this fall in Switzerland. My current room mate, Marta, is from Virginia and she's a pastry chef on her way to study in France. I have learned so much from these girls and am blown away at how kind every one is. 
      It is really going to be hard for me to leave Snowdonia, I would love to come back some day soon. Next week I leave for a place near Edinburgh, Scotland, then finally meeting Tamsyn in Paris!! Then we are off to Loire Valley, France, where we will be working at a Chateau for all of October. Then it's off to a Prague/Vienna trip with Meredith and Andy! I can't wait to see some familiar faces. 































  

No comments:

Post a Comment